Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fear

Winter-Windows

















Browning in his Oxford Bible Dictionary writes that a typical human expression provided for the emotion of terror would be in a verse such as Exodus 23: 27. Browning (1997: 134).

Exodus 23:27

English Standard Version (ESV)

'27 I will send my terror before you and will throw into confusion all the people against whom you shall come, and I will make all your enemies turn their backs to you.'

He noted the more important Biblical fear, as in awe of God, the holy God. This should induce a hatred of evil. Browning based this on Proverbs. Browning (1997: 134).

Proverbs 8:13

English Standard Version (ESV)

‘13 The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.’

Browning further explains that there is in the New Testament a fear of the awesome, as in the supernatural, the Resurrection of Christ, being prime example in Mark 16: 8.
A Canadian Anabaptist History Professor of mine at Trinity Western University/Canadian Baptist Seminary stated in lectures that the modern Evangelical Church liked to emphasize very heavily in evangelism, the forgiveness, grace and mercy of God, and negate divine anger. The professor understood as I do that the evangelical position is a Biblical perspective as via Romans in the atonement and legal justification there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8: 1-NASB/ESV). The Holy Spirit guided life allows one in Christ to walk in faith, as one not able to fully follow the law. But the professor stated that the Church needed for the sake of sanctification, which is be to set apart, to made holy by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit until glorification at resurrection Grenz, Guretzki, Nordling (1999: 105), to have a healthy fear of God, that also reviews his people at judgment day as mentioned on this blog (Hebrews (9: 27, 2 Corinthians 5: 10).

Therefore, I would reason that there are negative fears such as satanic fears, fears very much of the sinful nature, fears that work against faith, fears of tomorrow which Jesus warned against...

Matthew 6:34

English Standard Version (ESV)

'34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.':

These are fears that are admittedly often very difficult to overcome in life, but these are not examples of healthy Biblical fear.

Healthy Biblical fear is a fear of being on the right side of God in this life in order to receive in grace granted still, a reasonable review in the next life.

As well, from philosophy of religion and psychological perspectives I can without difficulty agree with Browning that it is normal for certain human beings to have particular fears, not all human beings having the same fears, such as fears of physical pain, suffering, death, torture, humiliation, and to some extents the unknown and the future. This is part of being a finite and fallen being in a fallen world, but these fears too should be faced in prayer and in faith. Notice the tension between what Jesus stated about not worrying about tomorrow and a natural human inclination to be concerned about tomorrow. As Christians this requires reasonable, well-reasoned faith.

BROWNING, W.R.F. (1997) Dictionary of the Bible, Oxford, Oxford University Press.

GRENZ, STANLEY J., DAVID GURETZKI AND CHERITH FEE NORDLING (1999) Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, Downers Grove, Ill., InterVarsity Press.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am not steadfast if I reconcile glean influence the previous arguments. I receive a predicament. [url=http://headachetreatment.net/#417]fioricet pharmacy[/url]

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

But have no fear...

Valentina said...

Sorry i didn´t have time to comment before... Beautiful pictures ad good text :)
Have a good week :D

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Thank you very kindly, Valentina. Please have a really good week in Spain with studies and life.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your fear article, you distinguished the differences between healthy fear and fear that is rooted in the sin nature. Very creative!
-DON'T BE AFRAID!-

Anonymous said...

Is there anything as beautiful as pics of a BC Winter??
-Winter Winner-

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Anonymous said...
I enjoyed your fear article, you distinguished the differences between healthy fear and fear that is rooted in the sin nature. Very creative!
-DON'T BE AFRAID!-'

Thank you. Something to deal with on objective and subjective levels.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Anonymous said...
Is there anything as beautiful as pics of a BC Winter??
-Winter Winner-'

Yes.

Eva said...

Eu adorei as fotos, e gostei de saber que você não tem medo, estar próximo a Deus prá mim é não ter medo. O medo é o termômetro do quanto estamos afastados de Deus. um grande abraço.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'I loved the pictures, and was glad to learn that you are not afraid, be close to God, for me is not being afraid. Fear is the thermometer of how we are alienated from God. a big hug.'

Wise words, Eva. Thank you as always in Brasil.

Anonymous said...

Howdy are using Wordpress for your blog platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to
get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

This is Blogger. Learning some HTML helps.

Miss Sarah W. Winter said...

WOW WOW! Winter is my favourite station, In North Spain sometimes it's snowy... I miss snow, because I love that weather.
Yeah, I've so much followers. I think they like my blog hahaha
Be happy Dr. Russell :)

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Yes, you are a Spanish Blog Star.;)

Well-done.

All that sun and little snow.:)

Have a very good week, Miss. Winter.

Anonymous said...

Hello , my name is Yohan and I found this forum and its members really nice!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Have no fear, Yohan is here. Thank you my friend.

Jeff said...

In this economy, fear can be like a looming cloud when people are afraid of what might happen in the very near future.

During those 7 security incidents at my house, a couple or more of them made me so afraid that even now, I no longer sleep as easily as I used to, and for weeks after some of those incidents, I found it extremely difficult to sleep. But God has protected me.

When the dipstick on my car was dry, and I later found out the head gasket was leaking, I was worried (and I suppose fearful), because I do not have enough money to buy a new car, nor do I have the money it would take to fix the car. But, even though the dipstick was totally dry, and there was absolutely no oil in the car, the Lord kept the engine from burning up, and ever since then, even though the mechanic was not able to fix the problem, every day I have checked the oil level, and it only went down once, and that was only about 1/4". God has protected my car when I don't have the money to fix it or buy a new one.

I've been having a toothache, and I have called several dentists to get estimates on prices since I do not have insurance, and I did sign up for insurance the other day through work, which will not take effect until Jan. So right now, I'm not sure if I can afford to go to the dentist, and I don't know if I can hold out till Jan., but the last couple or so days, the pain has only been minimal, so the Lord is helping me through this by causing the pain to be much decreased.

There have been things that might have caused me to lose my job several times now, but so far, the Lord has allowed me to keep this job. It doesn't pay much, but its more than not having any income at all. So the Lord is watching out for me in this area, as well.

Fear can be very real, but when things are put into the hands of the Lord, the Holy Spirit can bring peace.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

‘In this economy, fear can be like a looming cloud when people are afraid of what might happen in the very near future.’

Agreed Jeff, with me for example, I have thought since my days in the late 1990’s at TWU that a two career path option, while always working as a theologian (and now philosopher as well) in some capacity, is vital for me. There simply are not within the post-Christian Western World, especially Canada and the European Union, where my citizenships are, many jobs related to philosophical theology and philosophy of religion. Most of the work is in the United States, and I am not American and am rather unknown despite being quite successful with my degrees and embedding my own Reformed theodicy in a Doctorate etc.. My 'Fear' post was written to minister to others and myself and as a theological and philosophical teaching tool for others and myself.

‘During those 7 security incidents at my house, a couple or more of them made me so afraid that even now, I no longer sleep as easily as I used to, and for weeks after some of those incidents, I found it extremely difficult to sleep. But God has protected me.’

I pray for your safety Jeff, and that proper security measures have been made. I lived in some shady areas in Manchester as one of my neighbours was tied to a chair and murdered.

‘Fear can be very real, but when things are put into the hands of the Lord, the Holy Spirit can bring peace.’

A good Christian friend stated the other day in light of me not getting a job offer as a Professor and other issues that those in the Christian Church basically often devour their own. I reason that in the Church there needs to be more dialogue and love and willingness to perhaps be wrong a little, or corrected a little. in order to sometimes work things out. It is good to pray to God on issues but support of those in Christ, those in the Church would also more so alleviate certain fears.

Anonymous said...

Total kind of MDU is Maharshi Dayanand College. The College was formerly recognized as Rohtak College, but it was renamed as Maharshi Dayanand College in 1977. For anyone who is on the lookout for a excellent spot in distance discovering scheme for just a study course in MBA, then the College is a person among the many topmost Universities inside the region where higher stage expertise is imparted to the students for getting a degree in Learn of Company Administration..

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

MBA never to be confused with NBA...

chucky said...

Has John McLaughlin attended Maharishi College?

chucky said...

oh, I guess I got it confused with this school

chucky said...

Here's the site for Maharshi Dayanand College

chucky said...

Maharishi Yogi interviewed by Larry King, shortly before his death.
here and here. Strange stuff.

chucky said...

Yogic flying -- I'm kinda disappointed.

chucky said...

Buddhist monk levitates, looks real.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
Has John McLaughlin attended Maharishi College?'

Would he be looking for a supplier...?;)

A guru of his was Sri Chinmoy.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
oh, I guess I got it confused with this school'

'Maharishi University of Management'

Yes you are 'confused', but I think the founder was more so.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
Here's the site for Maharshi Dayanand College'

The College looks legitimate but the site like a spam site.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
Maharishi Yogi interviewed by Larry King, shortly before his death.
here and here. Strange stuff.'

You agreed with my interpretation that Yogi wanted a one world government. I was unimpressed with the reasoning which was all over the place.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
Yogic flying -- I'm kinda disappointed.'

No shock or surprise...

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'chucky said...
Buddhist monk levitates, looks real.'

Looks real, but the camera was far away and there would need to be a scientific study. I am not denying a possibility the powers of darkness/demonic could cause levitation.